Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Humantay lake- Soraypampa – Salkantaypampa
You will be met at your hotel (located in Cusco city) by your trekking guide, cook, and porters, and driven two hours in our private van to Mollepata where we will have breakfast in one of the local restaurants. Then we’ll drive thirty more minutes to the trail head, Challacancha, where the Humantay Lake hike journey really begins.
You will be looking at two big mountains, called Humantay (5,900 meters above sea level) and Salkantay (6,215 meters above sea level), and start on a gradual, uphill hike along an Incan water channel, until we arrive to SorayPampa, located at 3800 meters. We’ll take a little break in order to enjoy the views, then we’ll hike up for one hour and a half to see the turquoise Humantay Lake . We’ll return for forty-five minutes from this Humantay lake tour to Soraypampa for some delicious food cooked by our professional chef.
You can have a siesta after lunch until it’s time to continue our expedition, which will mark the last two uphill hours of the day. Around 4:30 p.m., you’ll get to our campsite, located at the foot of Salkantay mountain, and the trekking staff will have your tents set up and with your duffel bags ready. They will provide you with warm water to get washed up and change into something warm. Your guide will introduce the team, take a group photo, then we’ll all indulge in a little hot chocolate or coffee, followed by dinner.
The nights can get pretty chilly at our campsite, Salkantaypampa (4200m / 12750ft.), so it’s a good idea to put on your hat and gloves before you go to sleep!
Day 2: Salkantaypampa – wayracmachay-Colpapampa
We’ll wake you up early with a hot cup of coca tea, ready for the hike. You’ll have time to pack up and enjoy a tasty breakfast prepared by our professional chef, and at around 6:30 a.m., we’ll start walking. Today, on the 5 day salkantay trek, we’ll hike three hours uphill until the Salkantay Pass at 4,650 meters high – the highest point of the trek. To ensure protection until the end of your journey, the Guide will make a small ceremony to the mother heart (pachamama) and the Salkantay mountain like in the Incan times. If you are interested, just ask the guide to make your own offering!
We’ll then begin the hike which will be two hours downhill until we arrive at the lunch spot, Wayracmachay at 3,800 meters. After lunch, you can take short siesta and then begin the gradually downhill hike to our private campsite.
Along the way you will explore beautiful waterfalls, rivers, flora and fauna. This will be another microclimate along the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu called tropical forest, we’ll see a variety of wildlife: from the small finches that scrape by at the higher altitudes, to hummingbirds and toucans in the cloud forest. There is also a chance you might see the Spectacle Bear (ucucu), Andean Fox, White Tailed Deer and Viscacha (rabbit-like Chinchillas). There will be many different species of orchids to see, as well as ferns and begonia flowers. Humming birds will be flying above you, a huge difference from the day before.
When you arrive at the campsite, you will be welcomed by our staff and have time to relax.
Dinner tonight will be at a beautiful campsite which is at the beginning of the “cloud forest”.
Day 3: Colpapampa – La Playa – Lucmabamba
You will have time to pack up and enjoy a tasty breakfast prepared by your chef, then around 7 a.m., you’ll begin the hike which will be five hours downhill until you arrive at your lunch spot, Lucmabamba at 2,000 meters high.
After lunch, we’ll have the option to go to the Santa Teresa Hot Springs, which is composed of pure volcanic water. This water is natural medicine and considered to be good for your bones, muscles and any stress or headaches you may be suffering from. This option is highly recommended by Salkantay trek hikers.
We’ll get to have a tour of a coffee plantation close to the campsite, browsing the fields, learning about the different types of beans and picking our own beans. It doesn’t end there.
You’ll even be able to taste the coffee, prepared by the local people.
Finally, we’ll have dinner in a beautiful tropical area.
Day 4: Lucmabamba – Hidroelectrica – Aguas C Town
Today will be an early morning, waking up once again with a hot cup of coca tea. After
getting ready for today’s activities, and enjoying your last breakfast prepared by your
professional chef, you’ll start walking uphill for three hours.
During this portion of the Salktantay trekking adventure, you’ll have the opportunity to climb
part of the Inca trail. You will see amazing views of the Santa Teresa valley, until you arrive
at Llactapata Inca site, right in front of Machu Picchu., where you’ll be able to see the Machu Picchu ruins, Huayna Picchu and the Machu Picchu Mountain in front of this spot.
You will learn about the Inca site all inca history with your professional guide. We spend time in this beautiful open spot, there will be enough time to take pictures and enjoy the box lunch.
After our lunch we’ll walk downhill to the Hydroelectrica Station. We’lll follow one side of the
train tracks until Puente Ruinas and then hike last segment of the trail, a dusty road. We walk approximately three hours to arrive at Aguas Calientes.
This section is interesting because Hiram Bingham, who rediscovered Machu Picchu after centuries walked along this valley looking for the lost city of Vilcabamba. He met the farmer Melochor Artaega, who guided him to Machu Picchu. You will get to pass by the farm of Melochor Artaega, where you will see many species of flora and fauna, including the famous Peruvian national bird called cock of the rock, toucanets, parrots and orchids.
Finally we’ll arrive at Aguas Calientes where you go to your hotel to return to a mini-civilization once again, with wifi, and hot showers. In the evening, you will enjoy your dinner in a tourist restaurant, then we make a Goodbye ceremony to thank all the porters for the great job they have done (if you wish to provide tips for them, you can do at this time).
You must go to sleep in a proper time in order to wake up early the next day.
Day 5: Aguas Calientes town- Machu Picchu – Cusco
On the final day of your Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, we’ll wake up early in the morning
and order breakfast in the hotel, which will hold your bags for you, until you return from your tour. We’ll walk to the bus station to catch one of the first buses up to Machu Picchu – a ride of about 30 minutes. You will then have two hours of guiding tour by our professional guide.
Once the tour is over, according to Machupicchu rules, nobody gets into the Incan City again. Depending the time and your physical condition you might have achance to walk down to Aguas Calientes for one hour and a half approximately or take a bus for 30 minutes. You can then explore the town of Aguas Calientes and its authentic sculptures.
People who have tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain will have time to climb the mountain, which takes approximately forty-five minutes up and forty-five minutes down. Your guide will let you know the time to meet at Aguas Calientes to enjoy your last lunch in a local restaurant. This is optional and not included. At lunch, they will give you the tickets in your hands.
Be on time at the train station, 30 minutes before the departure. The train will take you to Ollantaytambo, where our transfer is waiting for you. Then our van will take you back to cusco. Finally, we’ll drop you off at or nearby hotel(depending the location and access).
Includes / Not Includes
- Pick up from your hotel
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9 or more trekkers
- 4 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Afternoon Snacks and 4 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with confortable tables and chairs
- 4 person tent used by only 2 trekkers
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment plus 7kg of your personal items.
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Private Transportation by bus cusco to Mollepata
- 3 star Hotel at aguas calientes on day 4 with private room(hot shower, wifi and storage where you can leave your luggage while you visit Machupicchu)
- Round trip bus ticket(Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu- Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- 2 hour guided tour of Machupicchu
- Return transportation by tourist train from Aguas calientes to Ollantaytambo then van back to your hotel in Cusco
Does Not Include
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us)
- Inflatable sleeping pad
- Trekking poles
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 5
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machupicchu Maountain
- Travel Insurance (for the duration of your trip). You are strongly recommended to take out for the duration of your trip.
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Day pack
- Sleeping bag( you can rent from quinoa expeditions )
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket Warm jacket
- Warm clothes: layers for variable temperatures, especially at night. Thermals:Hat, gloves.
- wool socks and wool hat for cold nights
- T-shirts for the intire trek
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sunscreen (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries : poilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, wipes and hand sanitizer
- Personal medical kit
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries
- Camel bag or wáter bottle
- Extra money for drinks,tips and souvinirs. Etc( soles or dollars). At least 300 extra soles.
- Bathing suits for the hot springs( optional) recommended for those who stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes)
Price & Availability
Group Service Price
Price per person US$629.00
Private Service Prices
- 2 people US$ 729 per person
- 3 people US$ 669 per person
- 4 people US$ 649 per person
- 5 +people US$ 629 per person
Student Discount: US$30 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
Under 18’s Discount: US$30
Important: Prices Include mules to carry up to 7 kilos of your personal belongings.
Walking Pole US$20(pair)
Sleeping Bag US$30
Inflatable Mattress US$30
Single Tent Supplement US$30
Optional Extras/Not Included (Need to book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 75.00 (Need to book in advance).
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 75.00 (Need to book in advance).
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Ollantaytambo: USD50.00 (Need to book in advance).
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired (Need to book in advance).
Send us your main Departure date and back up date: By providing us with a main date and a back up date for your trek (classic Inca Trail, Lares, Salkantay, etc) you automatically authorize Quinoa expeditions to use either of these dates for your reservation. Quinoa expeditions within the next 24 hours (after you have sent us your booking form and confirm deposit was made) will send you an electronic receipt confirming your trek has been officially booked and also to confirm the exact departure date of your trek.
Send us your Personal Details for Booking: Your passport number and other information must be valid. Please advise if you change your passport number after booking the tour (especially for booking the classic Inca Trail as if we do not make a change in your official details, you may not be permitted to do the trek). Please Note changing passports’ numbers requires an extra fee (we are able to change passports numbers easily on our receipt but its also extremely important that we make the changes with the Inca Trail authorities)
Student rate: In order to obtain this discount you must have a valid ISIC card. It is important you scan and e-mail this to us at the time of booking and that it is valid on the date you are booked on the Inca Trail/alternative trek (you will need to show the real ISIC card upon your arrival here in Cusco and in Machu Picchu).
Payment of deposit: For any of our Adventure treks ending in Machu Picchu.
We request a non-refundable deposit per person along with personal details of each member participating in the trek:
- Full name
- Passport number,
Payment of deposit amount is:
- US$ 200 per person for the Salkantay Trek only Or
- US$ 275 per person for the Salkantay Trek + Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu climbing. Please confirm if you want to climb Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu as they need to be booked well in advance too; there are 2 time sessions:
- 7 – 8am or 10 – 11am – this also needs to be specified although you need to be flexible to either time.
Please note, if you get the permits for the 7am start you will probably have to miss the Machu Picchu guided tour.
Methods Of Payments
|Inca Trail & Alterantive Treks|
|1 Person $200,00 USD 2 Persons $400,00 USD 3 Persons $600,00 USD 4 Persons $800,00 USD 5 Persons $1.000,00 USD|
|Full day and half day tours|
|1 Person $50,00 USD 2 Persons $100,00 USD 3 Persons $150,00 USD 4 Persons $200,00 USD 5 Persons $250,00 USD|
|Pay with a different amount on|
METHODS OF PAYMENTS
INFORMATION FROM OUR TRAVEL AGENCY
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Página web:quinoaexpeditionsperu.com
- Teléfono:+51 84 384453
- Dirección:Calle Jose Maria Arguedas B-10, Urb. Cruzpata – Cusco
Money Transfer Company (Fastest and safest method of sending money in Peru)(It takes Minutes and pick the money inmediately and we can confirm in minutes)
Receiver’s Name: Alex
Receiver’s Surname: Huanca Hancco
Receiver’s Country: Peru
Account in Dollars: 4263113160397
Account in Soles: 4263113160932
- Deposit sent for is Non-Refundable nor transferable to any other date, person or tour (According to Inca Trail and Machu Picchu Regulations).
- Quinoa expeditions must be notified of any changes or cancellations to your trip as soon as you are aware of them, via e-mail or fax so that we do not incur expenses not covered by deposit.
- Once final balance has been paid, we will not be able to refund your trek payment in the case of cancellations. There will, however, be parts of your trip that you are able to use (Machu Picchu entrance fee, 1 train ticket, 1 bus ticket).
- A claim letter for your insurance company can also be provided by us upon request.
- Porter service hired can Not be cancelled (a fee is paid for booking this service).
ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS FOR THE TREK:
- Valid, original Passport (a copy will not be accepted)
- Valid, Student Card (if you booked as a student)
- Trekking boots (light, comfortable and broken in)
- A good quality daypack (light, small and comfortable)
- Water storage for at least 2 liters; either a camel bag or water bottle(s)
FOR YOUR DAYPACKS:
Below is a list of items that we highly recommend you keep with you at all times in your personal backpack. Remember you will be carrying this with you everyday of the trek so we recommend you bring a good quality daypack which is both light and comfortable. It is important to note that due to local regulations, your backpack should not exceed 25L. All larger backpacks can not be taken into Machu Picchu and will need to be stored outside the gates.
- Hat and sunglasses
- Rain gear
- Warm layers (fleece / long sleeved tops)
- Sun cream, bug spray
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper
- Personal medication
- Band-aids, moleskin
- Camera, extra batteries
- Head Torch
- Extra snacks, power bars, chocolate
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips (small change is useful for paying to use the villagers’ toilets on the first day)
ADDITIONAL ITEMS FOR YOUR DUFFEL BAGS:
During the trek will provide you with a duffel bag in which you can pack any items that you won’t need to keep with you during the day. Our porters will carry this bag for you throughout the trek. Please note this bag should weigh a maximum of 7 kg including the weight of your sleeping bag and air mattress (if you bring/rent one). When rented from us these two items weigh approximately 3 kg. During the Inca Trek, you will travel through different temperatures as you climb/descend, it can also be cold at night when at the campsite. Therefore layers work best!
- Sleeping bag for Inca trail (can be rented from us)
- Air mattress for Inca trail (can be rented from us)
- Some light, comfortable shoes for the camp
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves for Inca trail
- 2-3 t-shirts (wicking t-shirts are best)
- 1-2 hiking pants/trousers
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 4 sets of hiking socks
- 1 Fleece
- 1 Warm, down jacket for the coldest nights
- Quick-dry towel
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Face moisturizer
- Power pack / battery charger
- Plastic bags to keep wet or muddy clothes separate
Terms & Conditions
To book your Quinoa Expeditions of a lifetime please visit email@example.com or call our team on +5184384453 or + 51 910827647.
In order to make a reservation with Quinoa Expeditions you are required to make a $200 deposit for each trek and a $ 50 deposit for Day Tours. The deposit should be paid via PayPal. . All deposits are unfortunately non-refundable as they are used to secure your reservation (by purchasing permits, entrance tickets, etc.).
The remaining balance can be paid upon your arrival to Cusco and we ask that this be paid at least 36 hours prior to your tour. If you are not able to arrive in Cusco this far in advance of your trek, we ask that you notify your travel agent in advance to make arrangements. You can pay the remaining balance with Peruvian Soles, Dollars (or a combination).
All primary deposits are unfortunately 100% non-refundable. However, the earlier you notify us of a cancellation, the better we can assist you. Please send all cancellation notifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you cancel 8 weeks or more days before departure: Cancellation fees equal the amount of your deposit.
8 weeks to 4 weeks before departure: 60% of the total tour price is due.
4 weeks to 5 days before departure: 80% of the total tour price is due.
5 days to 36 hours: 90% of the total tour price is due.
36 hours or less before departure: 100% of the total price is due.
PASSPORTS AND VISAS:
Visitors are responsible for ensuring that they have valid visas and / or passports. Passports are required to be valid for at least 6 months beyond the dates of travel.
All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Discounts may apply for children under the age of 12.
Prices are per person.
Refunds are processed to the credit card(s) used for the original payment.
For your safety, comfort and convenience, we are the only company in Cusco that offers free transfers to and from the airport to your hotel on arrival and departure. Please send us your exact arrival time in advance. (ONLY FOR TREKS & PACKAGES)
Tipping in Peru is completely voluntary. Tipping guidelines are provided with your final travel documents that are provided during your tour briefing, held the day before your tour.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK:
Embarking on an adventure, such as the tours we offer, may involve risk of illness or injury caused by forces of nature, animals, insects, and flora. By booking your trip, you acknowledge these risks and are applying to participate voluntarily.